These vegetarian enchiladas are perfect for warming up with on a fall evening. They taste even better served up with a doll up of plain Greek yogurt and sliced avocado. Enjoy!
Healthy Vegetarian Enchiladas
- Serves: 6
- 1 Tbsp oil
- ½ onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp oil
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1 red pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup corn fresh or frozen
- 3 cups fresh spinach chopped
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Juice of one lime
- 6 gluten-free or sprouted whole grain tortillas
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella or parmesan cheese
- Start the enchilada sauce.
- Heat medium pan to medium heat and add oil and then onions.
- Cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, spices, tomato sauce, vegetable stock and salt.
- Bring to low boil and then simmer for 10 minutes to let sauce thicken.
- If you want a thicker sauce, slowing stir in flour with a fork careful to avoid lumps and cook for another few minutes.
- Remove from heat and add to blender.
- Blend until smooth and set aside.
- While the sauce is cooking, heat a larger pan on medium heat.
- Add oil and then onion.
- Cook until translucent and add mushrooms.
- Cook until brown.
- Add red pepper, zucchini, black beans and corn. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and stir getting all the yummy bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add spinach and let cook down.
- Add cilantro, salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Cook for a few minutes and remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 350F. In a 9×13 pan, spread some of the enchilada sauce along the bottom.
- Take a tortilla and add some of the filling.
- Wrap tightly, tucking in the edges as you go and place seam side down in the pan.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas. Spread the remaining sauce over the wrapped tortillas, completely covering them. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and generous squeeze of fresh lime juice.
These recipes are the property of Christina Lake Fitness