Do you ever worry that your days of eating casseroles are OVER if you are watching your waistline? So not true! Try this healthy version of chicken enchiladas out!
It’s a super easy casserole you can throw together in just minutes with your left over food prep from the week! It’s macro friendly and full of nutritional goodness too. Plus it has that ooey gooey cheesy goodness you may be craving 🙂
If you are dairy free- just omit the cheese and it is just as good.
I used a mixture of brown rice and left over quinoa, but you could certainly use one or the other. This recipe was adapted from Trainer Lyndsey. Enjoy!
Mexican Quinoa Chicken Casserole
- 12 oz cooked and cut up chicken
- 1 can rinsed black beans
- 1 cup brown basmati rice cooked
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 large diced bell pepper
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 2 packs of Burrito flavoring plus 2-3 cups water OR 1 can of enchilada sauce
- OR make your own:
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoons Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoons Oregano (preferably Mexican Oregano)
- (Mix all ingredients together. Use as needed. I like to use 4 teaspoons for about 2 pounds of ground beef)
- 1 cup grated extra old cheddar cheese
- *optional -1/4 cup cilantro
- Mix all ingredients together, using only 1/2 of the grated cheese.
- Add spices (except Burrito flavor packs) and combine.
- Mix the Burrito flavor packs with boiling water to thicken. Add more water until it is a sauce like consistency.
- Place in a 9 X 13 casserole dish and bake uncovered at 375' for about 25 minutes.
- Top with cheese and continue to bake for 5-10 more minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
- Let cool 5 minutes and serve.
These recipes are the property of Christina Lake Fitness
Approximate Nutritional content based on 6 servings:
Protein- 25 grams
Carbohydrates– 37 grams