Here’s a delicious treat that’s good for your heart (and your taste buds).
It’s a super yummy breakfast sundae recipe that’s packed with heart-healthy and delicious ingredients. TIP: This also makes a great snack!
Here’s a quick rundown of why this sundae’s ingredients are so good for your heart:
Quinoa: Studies show that eating whole grains is associated with both lower cholesterol and blood pressure … AND a lower risk of heart disease.
Berries: In addition to being filled with fiber, berries are rich in antioxidants that can protect you from the oxidative stress and inflammation that contribute to heart disease.
Walnuts: First, walnuts have more omega 3 fatty acids than other nuts. And second, studies show that they can help reduce cholesterol and blood pressure. They also appear to be associated with a lower risk of heart disease.
Dates: The two types of fiber in Medjool dates can help lower cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as help control blood sugar levels.
Yogurt: This fermented food has been linked with healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- ½ cup (85 grams) dry quinoa, rinsed and then soaked for 10 minutes.
- ½ Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ Tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1½-2 tsp maple syrup or honey, divided (to taste)
- 1/3 cup (40 grams) chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (150 grams) plain Greek yogurt
- 1½ cups (225 grams) fresh berries (your choice)
- 3 Medjool dates, chopped
- Drain the soaked quinoa and then pat it as dry as possible with clean paper towels.
- Place the quinoa in a bowl along with the coconut oil, cinnamon, ¼ tsp sea salt, and ½ tsp maple syrup or honey.
- Roast the quinoa mixture in a medium skillet over medium-low heat for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the walnuts about halfway through. These can burn quickly so keep your eye on them -- they should be golden brown.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes and then assemble your sundaes.
- Spread half of the yogurt in each serving dish, top with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey, and then add the berries and dates, and sprinkle the quinoa and walnut mixture over the top.
And If you’re wanting to embark on a journey toward better health, lose weight, and shape up — I can help.
Contact me here for a free discovery call today to learn more about the programs I offer and coaching opportunities available.