Tired of leafy greens? Then give this super nutritious filling salad a try! It also makes a great lunch that you can pack on the go.
It’s a spin on a traditional Indonesian dish that I found on Minimalist Baker and adapted to my own tastes.
I love that it’s filled with veggies, healthy carbs, and high in protein and fiber too.
- 1/2 cup quinoa, well rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, trimmed or cooked and chilled green beans
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup alfalfa or mung bean sprouts
- 1 cup coleslaw
- 2 whole carrots grated
SPICY PEANUT SAUCE
- 1/3 cup all natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp gluten-free tamari (or soy sauce if not GF)
- 2 Tbsp honey (to taste)
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake (more to taste)
- Water to thin (3-4 Tbsp)
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add rinsed, drained quinoa. Then add water, stir, and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 18-20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Fluff with a fork, remove lid, and set off heat.
- Make peanut sauce by adding peanut butter, tamari, honey, lime juice, and red pepper flakes to a small mixing bowl and whisking to combine.
- Then add water 1 Tbsp (15 ml) at a time until a semi-thick but pourable sauce is formed.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed.
- To serve, divide coleslaw between 3 serving bowls and top with snap peas, red bell pepper, alfalfa bean sprouts, quinoa and carrots. Serve with peanut sauce and any additional toppings (optional), such as cilantro, lime wedges, and red pepper flake.
- Store leftovers separately in the refrigerator up to 4-5 days (peanut sauce keeps for 1+ week). Best when fresh.
These recipes are the property of Christina Lake Fitness
Calories: 370 per serving (1/3 of recipe)
Protein: 15 grams
Carbohydrates: 45 grams
Fat: 16 grams
Fiber: 6.5 grams
*recipe adapted from The Minimalist Baker
Be sure to share this post with a friend who would enjoy this healthy recipe- and if you haven’t already done so, check out my 3 FREE videos for flat abs! Just click on the link below.
3 FREE VIDEOS FOR FLAT ABS